guix-devel

Re: A paper about Plan 9 and Guix

From: Edouard Klein
Subject: Re: A paper about Plan 9 and Guix
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2024 15:14:20 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Edouard Klein <edou@rdklein.fr> skribis:
>
>> I'll be presenting it not next week end, but the one after (12-14 April
>> 2024).
>
> Yay, congrats!

Thanks :)

>> I'd be happy if some of you would be so kind as to read it with their
>> extensive knowledge of Guix, in case I've made a mistake somewhere.
>>
>> https://the-dam.org/docs/explanations/Plan9ListenOnLinux.html
>
> Interesting read!
>
> I wonder to what extent the combination of ‘make-inetd-constructor’ and
> ‘least-authority-wrapper’ would fit the bill for you?  (This is currently
> used for the bitlbee, dicod, and rsync services.)  It seems to address
> the main shortcomings listed in Section 1.

I simply was not aware of the existence of least-authority-wrapper. It
does look nicer that passing a slew of options to guix shell
--container.

It sure would be nice if shepherd could be used to manage those daemons,
just to avoid having two concurrent systems doing the same kind of work,
but I'd still need a way to monitor the /run/listen directory, and start
and stop shepherd services on the fly. It is probably doable, but it
is a huge refactor.