guix-devel

Re: qa.guix delays in processing patches

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: qa.guix delays in processing patches
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 16:07:55 -0400

Hi Chris,

On 6/19/24 09:50, Christopher Baines wrote:
Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

It’s unclear to me why issues are sometimes seemingly not picked up.
Chris, do you have more insight into this?

QA just looks at a small number of latest series [1] and those
associated issues so I'm guessing in this case the patch series was old
enough for QA not to be looking at it. This is mostly due to disk space
limitations for data.qa.guix.gnu.org.

1:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/qa-frontpage.git/tree/scripts/guix-qa-frontpage.in#n154

Unfortunately the messaging is rather poor in this circumstance.

I'm not sure this explains why the job was dropped after having been picked up, as I (belatedly) mentioned in my reply to Ludo’:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2024-06/msg00203.html

I should have mentioned this in my last email, but, when I first sent the patch series, it *had* been picked up as https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/71203 and gotten to the "yet to process revision" state. I checked in on it a few times, and it remained in that state: only the last time (before rebasing) did it say "issue not found", though I'm not sure how long it had been since I'd last checked. I guess one thing I'm realizing is I don't know how long is normal for QA to take vs. when I should report a potential problem.

On that last point, it's now been over a week since I rebased the series, and <https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/71203> is still in the "yet to process revision" state. Is this normal?

At least a few revisions created later seem to have reached "success":

https://data.qa.guix.gnu.org/revision/003695a6a66ab2a69506d2f5a689170ccc340505

https://data.qa.guix.gnu.org/revision/d0e425b0f538a8762e3199f5223597835cfe75da

(The later seems to have "start"ed after the patch had already been merged.)

It's not clear to me how jobs are ordered in the queue, which makes it hard to tell if this is normal processing time or if something might be going wrong again.

I think there can be a lot of value in QA, especially in catching regressions on architectures I don't have available. But, even ignoring the additional delay waiting for the May 26 job that disappeared, this feels to me like a disproportionate overhead for a routine package update.

Thanks,
Philip