guix-europe

Re: Event?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Event?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 14:17:01 +0300

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 06:50:28AM -0400, Julien Lepiller wrote:
> Le 10 juillet 2020 04:57:08 GMT-04:00, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
> >Dear,
> >
> >Quoting the last Guix-Europe General Assembly,
> >
> >       In  addition to  the Guix  Days,  we consider  holding a  purely
> >       virtual  event  towards   the  end  of  the   year;  during  the
> >       discussion,  September   or  the   time  around   Christmas  are
> >       mentioned, without clear consensus.  Manolis, Pjotr and Jonathan
> >        volunteer to work on the organisation.
> >
> >       In case  FOSDEM is cancelled  due to ongoing Covid  problems, we
> >       would also like  to hold the Guix Days as  an online event. When
> >       booking ICAB, we  need to watch out for  a suitable cancellation
> >        policy.
> >
> >I would like to volunteer too. :-)
> >
> >BTW, we are already on mid-July and personally I plan a long break AFK
> >for August.  So we should start to discuss if we want to organize
> >something in {September,October,November}.  On the Guix-HPC land, I
> >think I will propose another "hackathon" in October.
> >
> >It appears to me difficult to transpose the format of Guix Days to
> >something virtual.  From my experience, more 7 in video chat is not
> >really fruitful.  Something like video cast (or pre-recorded) and then
> >question over IRC seems better.  On the other hand, I do not have
> >experience in such event.
> >
> >What could be your suggestions?  About a date?  About a format?
> >

> >All the best,
> >simon
>
> I was imagining a format where we could hack together on stuff, while also
> having someqpresentations.
>
> I liked the format of the FSF for libreplanet, where they were able to
> livestream the talks. They used jitsi and something in icecat to send the
> stream, and had a m3u link that can be opened in vlc or mpv.
>
> I was also imagining something more unconference-style, where we could have
> smaller discussion and working groups.

I'm sure there's some people with fairly weak machines. When I join
Jitsi I always do it from my phone since it always crashes by browser.
I'll have to try out OBS on my machine (using last year's FOSDEM
presentation I suppose) to see how well it'll work for live presenting
or pre-recording.

On the peer programming side, I know we have asciinema packaged but I
don't know if that supports live broadcasting. I know there's another
service out there that can be used to watch people play nethack but I've
lost my bookmark to it.

Is there a voice chat that's less demanding than Jitsi? We can figure
out the streaming of video and a joint audio separately if a
presentation isn't live or when peer programming.