gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] ParaGUI or ClanLib binding

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] ParaGUI or ClanLib binding
Date: 10 Aug 2002 20:21:34 -0600

A Blessing!

i read your posting with much celebration! very happy to here that
somone wants to take on this endeavor. i had thought it might be some
time before the "GL" portion of GUtopIa saw any light. But the light has
already come and his name is Leon! thanks Leon!

yes, part of what we must determinine, with certainty, is still which
backends to use. but it looks like it will pan out this way: Ruby-Wise
for a Ruby-native backend (gamma), wxWindows for a multi-platform
native-integration backend (omega-WX), and ParaGUI/SDL, or ClanLib, for
a gaming/multimedia backend (omega-GL). we also have FOX (omega-FX) and
a GTK backend bindings for testing purposes, but they are not intended
for general use. although they could become so in the future if someone
wanted to continue to work on them.

of course any input you have in these regards will be greatly
appreciated.

since your motivation is toward a game you are developing and therefore
will reuqire the "higher-order" capabilities of GUtopIa, which we have
not yet explored, i will happily turn that leading task over to you. if
you accept, it then ultimatly falls to you to determine if we should use
ParaGUI/SDL or ClanLib, and to be the primary advisor on how the GUtopIa
Meta-API needs to reflect the requiremets of that backend. let me know
if this works for you.

glad to have you aboard. tell me if you need anything. and keep me a
breast of your progress!

~transami