gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Idea for binding to the low level api

From: Massimiliano Mirra
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Idea for binding to the low level api
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 17:12:29 +0200

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 08:59:31AM -0600, Tom Sawyer wrote:
> so were talking about a code generater, rather then a real-time
> transalator. i wonder how much dynamicism we might loose doing this? for
> instance if the app caused an event to be remapped to a different
> procedure. i suppose it would still be possible. but how tricky would
> this be to code this way though? i'm not sure.

We can separate the tasks of building a GUI and handling a GUI.  The
code generator accomplishes the former, then lays a thin layer on what
it builds that lets the runtime do the handling uniformly and
independently of the toolkit.  Yes, there's still a layer somewhere,
but lighter.

This should make available 90% of the dynamic behaviour, while the
remaining 10% that has to do with building GUIs on the fly is seldom
seen in end user applications.  But this is just an educated guess and
the whole thing definitely needs more thought.

Massimiliano