gwl-devel

Re: [gwl-devel] `--run=simple` error ?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: [gwl-devel] `--run=simple` error ?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 18:04:53 +0100

Hi Simon,

>> I think it should work with “guix pull” to stay current and ensure that
>> it has access to the same packages that a user would see on the command
>> line.  Currently, this only works through a channel.  I don’t really
>> like that, though.
>
> You have proposed something like: “~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix repl”
>
> Why do you not like the channel and kind of inferior solution?

I want the GWL to be a proper package one can install, with
documentation and all that.  Installing it as a channel doesn’t have the
same feel.  It would be compiled afresh on every update and that seems
wrong to me.

Channels are primarily for extending the package collection, not to
provide new Guix commands.

While the GWL does depend on Guix as a library it does not directly
depend on the Guix package collection.  We want that to be whatever the
user happens to use.  I feel that maybe there really ought to be a
Guix library that’s separate from the package collection…

Don’t know.

--
Ricardo