gwl-devel

Re: [gwl-devel] what colour should the bikeshed have?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: [gwl-devel] what colour should the bikeshed have?
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 17:32:44 +0200

zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> However, I am a bit lost. Does this process still work?
>
> process: sleep
>   packages "coreutils"
>   run '(begin (display "Sleeping...\n")
>                     (system* "sleep" "10"))

I should note that this will *not* work in a container because “sleep”
would not be found in the container environment.

> And, is it better to declare explicitly "coreutils" as package input
> when using bash?

“coreutils” only needs to be specified when they are used.  We need it
in the example because “sleep” is provided by “coreutils”.  That’s
unrelated to the use of Bash.

> Or implicitly? For example, if `run # python {}` is used then the
> package input is implicitly python.
> What do you think?

This is still on my list for when G-expressions are used (and it depends
on features that are waiting to arrive in Guix), but I just added
another convenience in commit 82ba9bad073d717c9e6fd9cf243cd6d94f674283.

If you don’t really care for bash and just want to use a shell you can
leave off the interpreter and default to /bin/sh.  This works now:

  process: greet
    packages "hello"
    # { hello }

--