gwl-devel

Re: Managing data files in workflows

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Managing data files in workflows
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 13:58:40 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 03 May 2021 at 11:18, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> I’d like to introduce modifiers “immutable” and “mutable”, so that
> you can write “immutable file "whatever" you "want"” etc.
> “immutable” would take care of recording hashes and checking
> previously recorded hashes in a local state directory.

Ah, maybe it is same idea that we discussed some days ago on #guix-hpc.

To me, everything should be “immutable“ and stored “somewhere”.
Somehow, you do not need to hash all the contents but only hash all the
inputs hashes and the ’process’ itself.  And it is done somehow for
packages.  The only intense hash is the fixed-output, i.e., the initial
data input.

Well, I have not sent my explanations because my picture about how GWL
currently works is a bit vague for me.  And I have not done my homework,
yet.  Without say, I need to re-read the previous discussions we had on
the topic. :-)

However, I miss what “mutable” could be?

Cheers,
simon