h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] Introduction

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] Introduction
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 13:37:38 +1000

Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org> writes:

I would like to suggest an alternative to these two options of:
* Fixing the current PHP h-node web application so that it is
  maintainable.
* Rewriting the application as a Python 3 web application.

I would suggest converting the h-node web application into a Git
repository. This could be easier to accomplish as it can be done with
stable existing free software.

I just caught up with this discussion, and I agree with some arguments given by bill-auger against migrating the h-node.org client to a git workflow, including the separation of client and server, isolation of interface from implementation and the problem with migrating existing registered users to the new workflow.

Overall there does not seem to be an urgent issue the git workflow is trying to solve. git has advantages, but I don't see what high-priority problems this proposal is trying to solve.

I haven't been able to use h-client though, as pygtk seems to have been superseded by pygobject (for example http://www.pygtk.org/ redirects to https://pygobject.readthedocs.io/en/latest/) - I am not able to just install pygtk by pip install or using my distro's repos. Not sure if others are facing the same problem, but that is one reason the code may need to be updated just to work.

--
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0