Re: [Health] Prescription Workflow Issues

From: Christoph H. Larsen
Subject: Re: [Health] Prescription Workflow Issues
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 16:45:36 +0430

Dear Luis,
Thanks for your help!

On 08/03/12 12:45, Luis Falcon wrote:
> Hi Chris !
>
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 5:07 AM, Christoph H. Larsen
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Thanks a lot, Luis.
>>
>> Question regarding the prescription workflow. If I prescribe a drug to a
>> patient, it does - naturally - show in the list of prescriptions, but
>> not in the list of medications in the Patient facility. Does this make
>> sense???
> Is done on purpose. The prescription process / order does not
> necessarily means that the patient has takent the drug.
> One example will be DOTS when dealing with Tuberculosis medication.
Thought so, but it is still inconvenient, and not quite in line with
other EMRs. Essentially, it means that I have to double-entry every meds
I prescribe, which may be regarded as a turn-off by many busy doctors.
Any doctor should, in any case, check whether the drugs have been taken.
We DO have, in the Patient facility, Medication, the tic boxes
"Discontinued" and "Course completed". Should that not suffice, and thus
streamline the process???

>> Also, the prescription workflow seems a bit awkward: When I am dealing
>> with a patient, I have to go to Prescriptions, re-select that patient,
>> and select the pharmacy from the long list of all parties.
> No. Use the related action (little curved green arrow on top). It will
> take you directly to the prescription process from the patient form,
> and it will automatically fill in the patient name.
> This is useful for many other patient-related processe, like
> laboratory, evaluations, ...
Oh dear, I should retire!

>> Would it be possible to:
>> (1) introduce a field "is_pharmacy" to select pharmacies more easily,
>> ideally with the way to select a DEFAULT pharmacy on top of that?
> Agree.
>> (2) create a button within the patient facility to easily issue
>> prescriptions for this specific patient (pre-selected, that is)?
> Use the related action that already does that.
>> (3) to add prescribed drugs automatically to the list of medication
>> within the Patient facility?
> It should not be a 1:1 relationship between prescription and medication.
>> (4) to use "prn" in ADDITION to the existing table of frequencies?
>> Presently, it is either "prn" or other frequencies, which is medically
>> incorrect.
> Polysemic conflict :-). In PRN in the prescription line tree field
> means "print", and is not related to "Pro re nata" / "as needed" term.
> I will write the whole word "print" in the tree view to avoid conflicts.
The problem is, as discussed with Andrew already, the mix-up of logical
lines in the application frequency drop-down menu: qds (or qid) is a
frequency, and it can be either "reg" or "prn". In effect, we need
another drop-down menu, or a "prn" selection box (as non-prn = reg).

>> I sent further suggestions last night.
>> Also, in general terms, how can I select one record as default (e.g. for
>> the above pharmacy issue) in generic terms?
> We would use the system properties for the company.
Did not get this: What I mean is: How could I, for instance, define a
default pharmacy, if drugs are usually dispensed by a favourite pharmacy
in town, yet others might have to help in case of drug shortage? This is
just an example, but I have, so far, failed to figure out how to set
defaults for boolean or multiple selections in Tryton. My bad, for sure....!

>> Thanks a lot, indeed!
Ditto!!