Re: [Health] Incompatible version of server (demo account)

From: Axel Braun
Subject: Re: [Health] Incompatible version of server (demo account)
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 20:05:26 +1300

Am Montag, 22. Dezember 2014, 22:28:52 schrieb Cédric Krier:

> > This kind of problems proofs that the client should be
> > backwards-compatible. although the Tryton maintainer has a different view
> > on this...
> It is not a proof at all! The client behaves correctly by showing a
> correct error message.
> Backward compatibility is an aberration.

Right, the client works as designed.
And the design is right according to academic principles, or according to
'true religion'.

But there is a real world, and the troubles that esp. new users have, proof
that the design is an aberration. You need to think big, Ced!

There are certain advantages that backward compatibility has
- fix bugs only in one location/version, instead of all versions
- use the latest client and take advantage from all bugfixes applied so far.
- and maybe the largest one, esp in once you run Tryton in a larger
organization: have one client and be able to test / try various
Tryton/GNUHealth versions.
Useful e.g. for testing release upgrades. I know, someone (Nicolas?) proposed
to tweak/script some way around it, but this is not user friendly.

I agree that a backward compatibility to ancient releases is not a good
way...see A20 gate!

Successful companies and projects have one thing  in common: They listen to
the needs of their customers / users.

Maybe we make a poll for this?

Anyway, have a quiet and peaceful x-mas!
Axel