Re: [Health] [Health-jamaica] Ebola, MERS, Zika, N.N. and GNU Health

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health] [Health-jamaica] Ebola, MERS, Zika, N.N. and GNU Health
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 19:10:22 +0000

Dear Roberto, Armand and team

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 11:43:40 -0200
Roberto Novaes <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I am very glad to participate in this discussion, and I hope to
> contribute to it on the limits of my knowledge. I am facing this
> discussion as an opportunity to learn from experts on the subject.
>
> I would like to explain in a very brief way our specific plans. I do
> not consider myself able to discuss the general subject of NTD. We
> have been studying and trying solutions related to Aedes control and
> related diseases surveillance.
>
> First, they involve the georreferencing of ovitraps, de colection of
> the ovipositioning surfaces and the counting of eggs. We are following
> the model currently in use in many Brazilian cities and proposed first
> by CDC and improved later. This model is know in the literature as
> Reiter model
> (http://www.ovitrampas.com.br/downloads/artigos/REITER-AMADOR-COLON-Enhancement-of-the-CDC-ovitrap-with-hay-infusions-for-daily-monitoring-of-Aedes-Aegypti-populations.pdf).
>
> Second, we are storing those data on a simple module using Tryton and
> GNU Health. Each DU has a one-to-many relationship with an ovitrap.
> Each ovitrap has a one-to-many relationship with inspection. Each
> inspection has many-to-one relationship with an agent, a date and an
> egg count. A rough sketch
> (https://www.dropbox.com/s/af09vx76vst0b8t/Simple_Ovitrap_EER.jpg?dl=0).
>
> After that, we are still manually exporting the data to a csv file and
> creating a layer for each week on QGIS and producing heatmaps. This
> procedure is cumbersome, but as a proof of concept it is working fine.
> In the city of Mariana/MG
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariana,_Minas_Gerais), where we are
> running our pilot project we have positioned 30 traps that monitor
> 7000 inhabitants. We have been so far able to plan, in agreement with
> the municipal administration, a number of control actions that would
> not have happened without that data.

I think we should take advantage of GNU Health integration with
OpenStreetMap , as we do with the Domiciliary Units and the DU surveys
for Dengue.
There is a nice link at OpenStreeMap GIS integration[1], that I hope
you find it interesting.

To me, we should really take the advantage of the existing integration
of GNU Health with OpenStreetMap, to generate different
types of representation (health events, demographics, etc.. ) . This
also would allow cooperation with other organizations, such as OSM HOT
(Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team)[2]

We would need an expert in the GIS area. I think Roberto knows a lot
about GIS, so please let us know your thoughts and advice.

> This data in conjunction with data gathered on the domiciliar
> inspections would make a great Aedes surveillance system.
>
> Problems we have been facing so far:
> Tryton does not have a geospatial set of fields. We could work to
> implement them (point, polyline, polygon).
> Although Tryton has a nice JS client, I think a complete offline
> client would be better, because we would not have to have internet
> connections or worry about cellphone bills.
>
> Dr. Christoph has "introduced" me to wq.io. It seems to be a great
> piece of software and a way to build a simple offline "form" to
> collect data.
>
> I would also like to stress Dr. Luis idea regarding Aedes control:
>
> > In the dengue case, we keep the current functionality
> > of health_ntd_dengue lab tests, guidelines, etc.. . It will have a
> > dependency on health_vector_aedes, which will hold the aedes species
> > known to transmit diseases, and other generic info valid to that
> > genus. We would move the current DU survey functionality to the
> > health_vector_aedes module.
>
> I like this idea very much. I think we could have different modules
> for different kinds of vector surveys. I think GNU Health/Tryton.

Thank you for bringing up the idea ! I am creating a task for this, so
we can have the new module in Health 3.2

1.- http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GIS_software
2.- http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team

All the best
Luis