Re: [Health] ICD - Search by Disease Synonyms

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health] ICD - Search by Disease Synonyms
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 08:40:32 +0000

Dear Edgar, Khurram and community

On Thu, 19 May 2016 09:58:20 +0200
"Edgar" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear Khurram,
>
> dear Luis,
>

> >What if we use Cedric's idea and use the "extra info" section
>
> >of each disease to add its approximate synonyms?
>
> In Austria the Ministry of Health provides a
>
> free database „SYSTEMDATEN2016.mdb“.
>
> Within this database there is a table „ICD10_TH“ which consists
>
> of 74.045 datasets with ICD-Code and „official“ synonyms.
>
> See
> http://www.bmg.gv.at/cms/home/attachments/0/5/7/CH1166/CMS1128343984496/stammdaten_2016_sp1.zip
>
> >I think these approximate synonyms are also defined in ICD
>
> >against every disease! (I may be totally wrong!).
>
> You are nearly right! In Austria there are 13.153 ICD-10 codes.
>
> Of those 13.153 codes there are 7.958 codes with one or more synonyms.
>

> >Once the synonyms are there in "extra info" column,
>
> >we can add this column to extended search spectrum for making it
> >searchable.
>
> C79.8 has the maximum with 591 synonyms. Only one „extra info“ per
> disease would not work then.

In order to make it generic, that is, not only for ICD10, but for any
coding system, we could use the concept of keyword. So we can have a
condition keyword model that can store the terms that can be referred
(O2M) by any condition.

I think this approach can be quite useful. It will provide flexibility,
the terms can be translated and can be used by any coding system.

> Yes, I agree.

> I think there should be an extra table, like ICD10_TH (TH stands for
> thesaurus).
>

> >>Creating a synonym structure, although possible, will be hard to
> >>maintain, and to match against all the different coding systems
> >>(ICD9, SNOMED, ... ).
>
> > >Same is the case with Signs and Symptoms (and probably the
> > >Procedures).
> Yes, there should be extra tables for thesauruses for that too.

When using ICD10 in signs and symptoms, they are pretty much covered in
chapters "R*"

> > >Moreover, we are unable to search for the diseases using the Code.
> >>We can extend the search spectrum to also look up for the disease
> >>code.
> It would be great to be able search for code, disease name and
> synonym.

Definitely !

Thanks again for your feedback, and let me know your thoughts.

All the best
Luis