Re: [Health] Any open-source DICOM Viewer for Ubuntu?

From: Jose C Cuellar
Subject: Re: [Health] Any open-source DICOM Viewer for Ubuntu?
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 20:03:24 +0200

Hi Axel. It's nice to read you ;-)

Some years ago I tried to get a CE2 certificate for a product that I was developing. The cost of the certification was about 20000€. But after that, the certificated product should be inscribed on the sanitary agency of each European country where you want to sell it. It's not a stamp, but 28 :-(.

That was about 4 years ago; I don't know if things will be different now.

What the certification agency inspects is the reliability of the product; specifically, that it can't make the doctor make a bad diagnosis because of malfunctions or inaccuracies of the software. The certification doesn't appreciate the existence or not of "extra features". So, having a certified product doesn't guarantee more quality than a not certified one. As I told previously, the only point of this is that for some public healthcare systems the use of CE2 / FDA certified software is compulsory.

Best regards.