Re: [Heartlogic-dev] comments on story rating thing

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: Re: [Heartlogic-dev] comments on story rating thing
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 19:49:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 02:29 -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
Instead of saying...

Story

Jack and Jill went up the hill

to fetch a pale of water

Understood As

Jack wants something about a pale of water for himself.

....say....

Story

Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pale of water

Understood As

Jack wants something about a pale of water for himself.

Yah, I had that on my TODO list.  Thanks for the nudge.

u r welcome.

Also don't say "Most experts agree."  Say most "humans" (too nerdy or
nerdy chic??) or "of our research participants" or "of our
volunteers."

Changed.

a w e s o m e .

Also don't say...

The statistics above represent the combined ratings of everyone who
has rated this appraisal.  Following standard APA notation, N is the
number of samples, M is the average on a scale of -1.0 (highly
unbelievable) to 1.0 (highly believable), and SD is the standard
deviation.

...first of all no need to say this is APA standard notation.

Removed.

looks nice.

it might be a teency bit better if you do it on several lines.

e.g. insteaed of...

You judged this statement as highly believable. We have collected 3 ratings so far (including yours). The average believability rating is 0.67 on a scale of -1.0 (highly unbelievable) to 1.0 (highly believable). The standard deviation is 0.58.

...can you format  it as..

You judged this statement as highly believable. We have collected 3 ratings so far (including yours). The average believability rating is 4.67 on a scale of 1 (highly unbelievable) to 5 (highly believable).

>>   second,
do it however we do it for "Vienna is wet." and friends (i.e. the
rumination story).

OK, maybe, but I want to let them diverge for a while.  It's more
creative.  ;-)

yarhg.  whatever.  let's keep going...BUT, maybe we agree to the
following principle: we can ask our study-ignorant friends to look at
it and ask them to imagine doing it the other way.  and then say,
"which way would you prefer."

i mean to apply this principle to any thing on which we disagree.

...also don't say...

Understood As

Jill is indifferent about a pale of water for herself.

...say....

After reading this story HAL thinks that:

        Jill is indifferent about a pale of water for herself.

How correct is HAL?

...and have not believability ratings but correctness ratings, a la...

        Completely Incorrect
        Slighly Incorrect
        So So
        Slightly Correct
        Completely Correct

[except presented horizontally]

Wow, uh, seems like a good idea.  Give me a day or two to digest it.

okay.

...ALSO THIS SEEMS LIKE AN IMPORTANT SUGGESTIONS this kinda makes more
sense if the participant saw them grouped meaningfully.  E.g. like
so...

        Jill is indifferent about a pale of water for herself.  1 2 3 4 5
        Jack is indifferent about a pale of water for herself.  1 2 3 4 5
        Jill thinks that Jack is indifferent about a pale of water for herself.
1 2 3 4 5
        Jack thinks that Jill is indifferent about a pale of water for herself.
1 2 3 4 5

....Whuddyasay to that?

I don't think that works as well as shuffling all the questions
together.  Here are some reasons off the top of my head:

* What if an impatient web surfer only answers half of the questions?

that is fine.  what would be wrong with that?  would we loose there data?
that seems like a problem which can be overcome.

tim chklovski does it the  way i am suggesting.

when i first saw it, i kinda went, huh?????....and then as i did a few
it all started to make sense...an impatient person working for free
who did not have their entire ego invested in this (-; would have
given up long ago.  so, what i think you should do is this:

for the beginning few, let them see them ALL clustered together.  then
they will get a sense that we will be circulating thhrough each
charcter AND we will be cicrculating through wants to avoid/not avoid.
then for the next ones they should see them one at a time.

* It gets monotonous.

huh?  it gets MORE monotonous when you have to re-read each screen in
its entirety.

i can ask my study ignorant friends and see what they say.

* Reliability might suffer because the order that the questions are
presented might have some affect on the ratings.

yes.  this is a very valid point.

so the solutions are two fold.

1) you could very the order in which they are presented en masse.

OR

2) like i said above they first get a sense of the overall variability
and then later the next items are presented one by one.

One more suggestion...

For the rumination Vienna is wet study, the type in boxes where we ask
them to comment, can you pretty please with sugar on top put it
*below* the radio buttons?  Also ...

Done, but I want our team of useability testers to squint at this before
I am convinced that it is the one true best way.

okay.

yes, a problem is that thhey might thi8nk that they can make a rating anbd then
add a comment.  but this is not the case.  thhey must type in commment BEFORE
rating.

to the wiki page, i would like to add "comment box before or after
ratings" as a list of open issues thhat we must decide before we go
live with baby pilot.

Do you have any comments about the truth of this statement

...would be better as this....

Feel free to add any comments about the believability of this
statement or about your rating right here.

...and maybe just "any comments" after the first 3 items.

Done.

Nice.  I just verified this.  But can you make it say
"Any comments?" instead of "Any comments:"

See this would be another great place for a wiki.

I'm not convinced.

THink of it as a way to collect the list of decisions we must make
before we go live.  Having a shared place away from email clutter will
help us see the big picture of the things that must be done bbefore we
go live.  maybe there are patterns/common themes, interrelationships
between tthese issues.  any more convinced?  like i said before, maybe
we just try it for a little while and see if it is convincing via
experience rather than by abstract argumentation.

bill

--
If you are an American then support http://fairtax.org
(Permanently replace 50,000+ pages of tax law with about 200 pages.)