Re: [Heartlogic-dev] wiki feedback

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: Re: [Heartlogic-dev] wiki feedback
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 18:51:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

You wrote:
The below is Joshua's example and I find it confusing. E.g. what does
"stats are positive" mean?

In this context, positive means believable and negative means
unbelievable.  Internally, the Likert 1-5 scale is converted into a
[-1,1] range.  Hence, it won't matter internally if we start playing
with the ideas mentioned on your WhatScaleToHaveUsersRateOn page.
Everything boils down to [-1,1].

This is true if all of our rating schemes involve a fixed range.

But, if we ever go to a scheme where a score could be e.g. from pos infinity and/or to negative infinity then this scheme won't work.

I like storing the raw rating numbers as it is an automatic debugging
device, automatically keeps track of what ratings we allowed.

Normmalizing is importannt at the data analysis stage.

For naive users, the grid would be more sensible with raw data.  Many
scientists/engineers don't even know what normalization is.  Plus the
word is ambiguous - could be guassian, linear, etc.

Random note: I changed the robot's name to "Marvin the robot" from
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy not because I think Douglas Adams is a
great author but because Marvin was emotionally depressed and our
project is about emotions.  (HAL probably broke down more on the
cognitive side. ;-)

Noted on

http://nirmalvihar.info/wiki/index.cgi?WhatToCallTheRobot

Bill

--
If you are an American then support http://fairtax.org
(Permanently replace 50,000+ pages of tax law with about 200 pages.)