Re: [Help-bash] `eval' subprocess not terminated

From: Ion Savin
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] `eval' subprocess not terminated
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 10:33:45 +0200

Hi Matthew,

I'm launching a script which is using `eval' to start a long running
process (just as an example I'll use xeyes):

$ cat test.sh
#!/bin/bash
eval xeyes

$ ./test.sh

 From another terminal I kill the shell process:

$ kill -9 `ps h --format pid -C "test.sh"`

The shell process terminates but the child process is not killed. Is
there any way to force bash (I'm using ver. 4.2.45) to terminate the
`eval' subprocesses it has created?

Why do you need eval at all? Are you sure you don't mean to be using
exec?

In the real world scenario test.sh is actually one of many third party scripts each of which could contain `eval'. This is why I would prefer to find a solution which works without any changes to the script itself if possible.

<greybot> 'eval' is a common misspelling of 'evil'. If eval is the
answer, surely you are asking the wrong question. See
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/048

Nice. Thank you for the link!

Cheers,
Ion