[Help-bash] Standard way to instruct executables to provide possible com

From: Sulaiman Mustafa
Subject: [Help-bash] Standard way to instruct executables to provide possible command line completin
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 13:07:53 +0300

Hello,

Is there a standard convention (GNU or otherwise) for instructing an executable
to print possible argument completion; maybe a flag or even an environment.
something along the lines of

theExecutable --gen-possibilities -- theExecutable partial_argum%
# % denotes cursor position when tab completion was invoked

If not, why doesn't GNU define one? It seems to me like a very useful thing to
have, for both developers, package maintainers, and users. Shell completion for
an executable can be turned on with a single shell command, and developers or
package maintainers won't need to write custom completion scripts for every
program. If it's a matter of avoiding mixing
user interface with machine interface, alternate methods could be used (triple
dashes or even, if necessary, environment variables).

Sincerely,
Sulaiman

PS I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I've searched for
information regarding this topic but to no avail.