[Help-bash] New operating system development.

From: doark
Subject: [Help-bash] New operating system development.
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 23:53:24 -0400

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 14:20:56 Kyle <address@hidden> wrote:

Please read the full response carefully, I did not wast a word.

> Hi, I contacted another email and they said try here so my name is kyle
> Campbell. I wanna make a new operating system for myself and maybe
> release it in the future.
The linux kernel itself is 3 million lines of code long, so, not that I'm
trying to be degrading, but are you feeling completely ok?

Perhaps you're thinking of spinning your own distro?
Like OpenSuse, Redhat, debian, Ubuntu, etc.
Or are you thinking of LFS (Linux From Scratch)?
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

> For now I'm working on the idea and design
> and learning machine language.
Wrong way to go. Machine language, aka assembler, is very non-portable and
difficult to create any sizable program for, due in part, to it's lack of
looping constructs, among other things.

> I wanna put bash shell unix for the
> terminal which is my 2nd thing to do after designing the boot loader.
Then you're not creating your own operating system, your creating your own
boot loader.

> For now I just wanna boot it up on into the terminal and work on
> design/ a GUI into the future.
Ok, now you're creating a GUI and a boot loader, that's still not a whole
new OS.

> How do I go about this? I know you guys
> own GNU bash I believe?
Own? Own! No one *owns* any GPL software, we just happen to maintain it
and answer questions about it (no matter how ridiculous).

> So I don't know how I should go about putting
> it in or downloading the right files to put it in. Or If I need
> permissions from you guys.
You download the sources and compile them. They can be found at the
current maintainers page:
https://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/bash/bashtop.html
Or the official page:
https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/bash.html

You'll need to read the bundled INSTALL file for a full list of
dependencies and instructions.
And you don't need to ask, it's not even considered polite by most
maintainers of free software. It's annoying. (Though we do like happiness
messages once in a while :)

> Can you send me the stuff to implement it like every other
> linux company gets?
>
> Thank you - Kyle Campbell

Your welcome, but Mr. Campbell, I realize that you've got the right
intentions, but seriously, consider what you could do with your life, how
many projects you could help and create and maintain (and more
importantly, how much you don't know what and that you don't know).

I've been trying out many linux distros recently, I might be able to
point you to a better piece of SW more to your liking. I've also been
seeking to learn all about the different SW projects that Linux offers
for various tasks, I'm not nearly done, but I can point you in the right
direction. I also know 7 programming languages. I'm not finished studying
the various languages either (need to learn tcl, javascript, haskell and
perl6 when it comes out).

Most of Linux is created by volunteers, though companies sell it at
exorbitant prices without giving back to us most of the time.

Please feel free to email me off list if your interested in going beyond
simple bash help (I may not respond immediately as I'm not connected
24/7). If you're truly motivated, you can make a difference, even without
creating an OS (:

Sincerely,
David