Re: [Help-bash] Where the complete behavior of & is documented?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Where the complete behavior of & is documented?
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 12:40:43 -0700

Andy Chu wrote:
> Try APUE by Stevens.  It has a lot of sample code and talks about platform
> differences.
>
> Linux is basically a superset of POSIX -- it's better to learn POSIX
> first.  (bash of course runs on many non-Linux kernels.)

I wholeheartedly second this recommendation!  That book is truly an
excellent reference.  Arguably the single most comprehensive reference
of "everything" that is available.

My interaction with that book is with the older editions as Richard
Stevens left us way too young.  Recent editions have been updated by
Stephen Rago and I dearly need to update my battered copy with a the
current edition.  I assume however that the book continues its very
high quality level.

Bob