Re: I would like to see "cmd" alias for "bash" binary in every distribut

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: I would like to see "cmd" alias for "bash" binary in every distribution
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 08:36:25 -0500

On 4/24/20 8:26 AM, Chet Ramey wrote:
On 4/24/20 9:24 AM, Eli Schwartz wrote:
On 4/24/20 9:17 AM, Vaidas BoQsc wrote:
Why the zero possibility.
Why should bash.git force this on people? I strongly object to this
proposed force-takeover of a global name in the $PATH for insufficient
rationale, and furthermore I'm personally bothered by the idea of
invoking bash as 'cmd', refuse to do so myself, and strongly recommend
that others do NOT use such an alias.

There now. Tell me why this opinion, which I'm confident is shared by
many people, should be overruled. What's the incentive for Chet to do so?

It's not actually up to me -- even though I'm not in favor. It's up to the
Linux distros, and to the other vendors who ship bash.

And as someone who packages bash for the Cygwin distro, I'll add my 2 cents: I will NOT make this change. 'cmd' has a completely different syntax than 'sh' or 'bash', and providing a default installation alias will only be a disservice to users who know the difference between the two. You can do it on your local setup, but don't expect any distro to ever foist this ill-advised decision upon all of their users.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226