Write to file at specific location

From: Julius Hamilton
Subject: Write to file at specific location
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 23:17:32 +0200

Hey,

I would like to schedule a command to execute at a certain time. When it
does, it should write its output to a specific place in a text file. The
contents of the file might shift around a bit in the intervening time. So I
was thinking the best way would be to put some highly unique symbol in the
place it should be written, as an identifier. In a Vim plug-in I saw once,
I am pretty sure it used very unique symbols as tokens inserted into the
text (for a different purpose). Would this be a standard method to flag a
location in a file? How does one specify the symbol? Perhaps by a unicode
U+387 style code?

Thanks very much,
Julius