Re: Handling getopt for option without optional argument value

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: Handling getopt for option without optional argument value
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 16:48:30 -0400

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 10:03:06PM +0200, lisa-asket@perso.be wrote:
> You are also steadfast on stopping supporting getopt so that we cannot use it
> anymore.

Assuming you mean getopt(1), it was never supported to begin with.
It's not part of POSIX at all.  It's also not part of bash.  It's not
even part of GNU.  There's no "support" to "stop".

At this point, I don't know what your goal is.  It seems to be to complain
as loudly and as frequently as you can until someone decides to spend
a few hundred person-hours designing and implementing and testing a
backward-compatible bash getopts that satisfies all of your needs, without
you having to put in *any* of the work, including stating precisely
what your needs *are*.

If that's the goal, I estimate your chances of success to be extremely low.

If you'd like to pursue some more attainable goal, like "get someone to
write the option parsing section of my script for me, and by the way, here
are my requirements", that's got a better chance of succeeding.  But you
need to cooperate with people instead of constantly fighting with them.

You could start by stating what you're trying to do.