Re: plz help with tcpserver

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: plz help with tcpserver
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:25:16 -0400

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 08:56:35PM +0200, ikhxcsz7y xmbott wrote:
> yes around so, however i got weird nonworking gawk results
> i mailed misc@list.cr.yp.to ( tcpserver ) and the gnu help and bug gawk
> lists from a previous similiar, they couldnt fix it, or say not so .. much
> .. i dunno its not fixed
>
> but see in tcpserver 0 1024 strace -fF -s 50 gawk -v RS='\n\n' 1
> then on nc 0 1024

Stop.

Take a 5 minute break.  Do not do anything on your computer for at least
that long.

After you've taken a 5 minute break, try to write down instructions
for how to reproduce the error that you're seeing.  Write it so that
your baby sister or your grandmother could follow the instructions.

Be ABSOLUTELY clear from start to finish.  You can assume that gawk and
tcpserver are installed, but you need to describe exactly what steps
one must take in order to see the error, and why you think it's an error.

An example might look something like this:

 1) Open two terminals.

 2) In the first terminal, run this command:
    tcpserver 0 1024 gawk something

 3) In the second terminal, run this command:
    printf something | nc 0 1024

 4) In the second terminal, I expected to see _________.
    Instead, I see _________.

Remember, nobody understands what you are trying to do yet.  Most of
us aren't experts in awk/gawk, or tcpserver, or netcat, but we may have
*some* spotty knowledge.  So, if you can make your problem simple enough
that other people can reproduce it, you might get lucky.