Re: Netiquette

From: Lawrence Velázquez
Subject: Re: Netiquette
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 13:46:01 -0500

On Sat, Nov 13, 2021, at 11:11 AM, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
> The only effective way to keep abusive language out of the list would
> be moderating it. However, finding someone willing to spend their time
> on that (and dealing with the inevitable abuse directed at themselves,
> claims of sensorship &c) would not be easy, I'm afraid.
>
> It could be made a bit easier by making it selective: e.g., set
> moderation bit on for all new users and only turning it off after the
> subscriber has sent some reasonable number of non-abusive messages.
> (Mailman2 has a feature just for this, default_member_moderation.)
>
> Or, maybe do that selectively for mail providers that have a history
> of abusive users. (Automating this would take some effort.)
>
> A theoretical alternative would be an automated filtering system that
> either rejects or flags for moderation messages that appear to contain
> abusive language. Doing that well enough that it'd be less work than
> simply moderating everything would not be exactly trivial, however.

Unfortunately, the fact that our problem stems from one person makes
it hard to argue for implementing a whole system.  (Although perhaps
we should be grateful that we largely don't need a whole system.)

I'd like to think that we could solve this by starving the fire --
i.e., collectively agreeing to stop engaging with the individual --
but I don't see that happening.

--
vq