Re: small problem with BASH_SOURCE and PATH

From: Alex fxmbsw7 Ratchev
Subject: Re: small problem with BASH_SOURCE and PATH
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 14:51:02 +0100

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 2:47 PM Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 08:59:12AM +0100, Alex fxmbsw7 Ratchev wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 11:42 PM Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org>
> wrote:
> > > Clearly Lhunath intended this code to be used only when running the
> > > script as a command, e.g. "myscript", not by typing "bash myscript".
> > > If you'd like to edit the page to make that clear, go ahead.  As I
> > > said, it's a publically writable wiki.
> >
> > correction, its made when "./script" or "bash ./script"
> > if its not the slash to remove is missing and the case isnt covered by if
> > so it fails
>
> Incorrect.
>
> unicorn:~$ vi bin/xmb
> unicorn:~$ chmod +x bin/xmb
> unicorn:~$ cat bin/xmb
> #!/bin/bash
> declare -p BASH_SOURCE
> unicorn:~$ xmb
> declare -a BASH_SOURCE=([0]="/home/greg/bin/xmb")
>
> When invoked as a command through the shebang mechanism, you get a
> path with slashes in it.  The *only* time it fails is when you explicitly
> type "bash scriptname".

this case i meant

> It would be nice if you would take 2 minutes to test these things
> yourself, rather than spouting ignorance.

i got it all, now, with help, we aint at the beginning where i was failing
with headpain and such
i also wanted to edit, but since i got banned off #bash for not talking
bash but including bash in every msg and ignorance to not unban me i left
irc so no botwikicode

a valid where my path is is at least an [[ $BASH_SOURCE != */* ]] check
a another one if u dont cd like me to the dir but absolute path it, == /*
|| prefix $PWD
in less code u cant do it and see it results in a cmd err

in the major bash script case