Re: simpler question about my script

From: Dennis Williamson
Subject: Re: simpler question about my script
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 21:02:23 -0600

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 6:22 PM Alex fxmbsw7 Ratchev <fxmbsw7@gmail.com>
wrote:

> . . .
> i didnt mean to be unfriendly or insult, but i have to let know
> for me its like a dream, i edit a file in functions/ without tabbing as is
> a new file and it auto loads it into the script
> however, yea, the big script is.... a bit unreadable
> its just as good as the coder
>

>> indending as in spaces and tabs i cannot take anymore, i went in 20y+ of
>> coding only problems with it
>> and the syntax highlightening i've seen were... broken and not goodly
>> visible, ...
>>  . . .
>>
>> well you meant it well so i comment on your mail, im a bit higher and
>> stricter level there than the tips
>>
>> i suggest.. you, make a documentational text with such things and public
>> it
>> its what im doing ( when im on it ) , i write httpd in bash and host free
>> fun services on it.. u can too
>>
>> i mean the tips are not non sense, do something with them

Thank you for recognizing the effect your responses may have.

Part of participating in a community requires communication, the words have
the same root after all. Code is a form of communication. It is often
thought that it's just for controlling a machine and if it works (performs
a useful and desired function) then that's all that's important. But the
reality is that code is read by humans - part of a community - and needs to
be understood by them in order to maintain the code and to provide
assistance from one coder to another. Just as it's important to communicate
in standardized human languages using complete sentences structured in an
agreed upon syntax so that ideas and information can be conveyed
and assistance and collaboration can be accomplished, it's important to
communicate code in the same way - with clarity and structure. Those who
are unable to communicate - with their audience in mind - will find it
difficult to have their needs met.

I wish you good fortune and continued learning, but it will likely be with
little of my further involvement.

Dennis

--
Visit serverfault.com to get your system administration questions answered.