Re: whats wrong with (( a = 8 , a > 4 && a -= 2 || a-- )) , bash: ((: a

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: whats wrong with (( a = 8 , a > 4 && a -= 2 || a-- )) , bash: ((: a = 8 , a > 4 && a -= 2 || a-- : attempted assignment to non-variable (error token is "-= 2 || a-- ")
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 14:30:07 -0400

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 11:48:03PM +0530, Bipul kumar wrote:
> *$ (( a = 2 , a > 1 && (a -= 2) || a-- )); declare -p adeclare -- a="-1"*

I don't know what kind of email software you're using, but this mangling
really makes it hard to read.

As near as I can tell, the quoted part of your message was intended
to appear as two lines of text.  But for whatever reason, your email
program has chosen to remove the newline characters, place an asterisk
at the beginning, place another asterisk at the end, and then place a
newline character at the end (after the second added asterisk).

The result is a single long line of text, where the reader will have to
ignore the decorative asterisks, and guess where the newlines should go.

The truly baffling thing, though, is that your email software did *not*
send an HTML part and a text part.  I could understand it a litle more
easily if you had originally written the message in HTML format, and then
your email software did an automatic (and poor quality) conversion to
text, and attached both formats.  I've seen that many times.

But that's not what you're sending out.  Your email only contained one
text part.  No second part.  So, there isn't even a "less mangled" form
of the content to use as a reference.