Ambiguous Grammar

From: Ramaswamy
Subject: Ambiguous Grammar
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 14:45:08 +0530

Hi,
    I am working on a very ambiguous language. The language is ambiguous due to the support for complete forward referencing. Worst yet its meant to be user friendly which means its a headache for the compiler designers. Considering so many factorts and limited time available I choose to use the GLR parsing scheme provided by bison. On most ambiguous situations I am able to parse the input excepting on when the parser finds and ambiguity. Anyway this is as follows -

    Withing enclosed braces the following language is permitted -

TokenList:
      Token
    | TokenList Token
    ;

And the token is unfortunately as follows:

Token:
    | and a lot more which r out of scope of the prblm
    ;

C: A B

    The actual grammar is not this elementary but I prefer presenting the base problem rather that giving other unwanted details. The language permits the tokens A & B in TokenList without any other tokens in b/w as in production C. The language specification says that there is no ambiguity, but due to forward referencing I face this problem. All I want to do is get the parser to go thru using any of the 2 ways of the following ambiguity for the input { ... A B ....}, preferably the one with the longer string -

TokenList->
    TokenList->
        TokenList->... (before A)
        Token->A
    Token->B

and

TokenList->
    TokenList->... (before A)
    Token->C (with is an A followed by a B)

    I could not find out where in the grammar I should give the %dprec to let the grammar take the longer contineuous token (C). In case any of u can solve this problem or could give links to relavent links it would be great. Thanks in advance.

Regds
Ram
---------------------
Information contained and transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to
Synergy Infotech Private Limited and is intended for use only by the
individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If this is a forwarded message, the content of this E-MAIL may not have
been sent with the authority of the Company. If you are not the intended
recipient, an agent of the intended recipient or a  person responsible for
delivering the information to the named recipient,  you are notified that any
use, distribution, transmission, printing, copying or dissemination of this
information in any way or in any manner is strictly prohibited. We have taken
precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we
advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this
message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software
viruses. If you have received this communication in error, please delete this
mail & notify us immediately at mailto:address@hidden