how to return the poition in the input string where the token is found

From: Maansi Gupta
Subject: how to return the poition in the input string where the token is found
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 01:44:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

We are trying to develop a friendly IDE for our own
grammer. For this purpose we have created a Lexer
which is taking input from a string buffer.

The user enters the script in a rich edit control. The
lexer is called after each character.

Once a token is recognized we need to call a function
in the action part of the lexer, that would return the
position of the character in the string.

For example if input string is "x+y". Where "+" is the
token to be identified, the function needs to pass the
position of "+" in the string i.e. 2.

I am unable to find any means to return this
position.Please help regarding this

Thanks