Re: The GPL "Special Exception" and yacc.c

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: The GPL "Special Exception" and yacc.c
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:10:27 +0100

Le 12 mars 09 à 16:25, David Wootelhoff a écrit :

On 3/6/09, David Wootelhoff <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm considering using a Bison generated parser in a closed source
commercial product.

I see that the C file output by Bison has a section starting "As a
special exception" which refers to "the Bison parser skeleton". Does
this paragraph mean I can modify yacc.c itself (which I understand is
the skeleton) and still keep my generated parser closed source? My
initial interpretation was that this was indeed the case, but I see
that yacc.c itself only contains the standard GPL notice and no
"Special Exception". (I'm aware that the special exception definitely
applies to the bison generated C file).

I'd like to use Bison with a modified skeleton but I don't want to
violate the GPL. Any clarification is much appreciated.

Hi, does anyone know the answer to the above question, or have any
hints about how I might find it?

I'm unsure if the question is so trivial that no-one is interested in
answering it, or so difficult that people can't answer it ;)

Hi David,

We need to know whether this package of yours is a parser generator (in which case there is a very specific clause in the license). And I'm curious about the nature of the changes you'd do in the skeleton (but answering this question is not important).