Re: No Bison 3 in untainted macOS installs

From: Uxio Prego
Subject: Re: No Bison 3 in untainted macOS installs
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 19:31:59 +0100

> On 15 Dec 2018, at 18:44, Hans Åberg <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> On 15 Dec 2018, at 17:02, Uxio Prego <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Bison installs in /usr/local/ direct from the sources in [1], and works
>>> fine will their inhouse version of clang. Bison also needs m4 which can be
>>> installed the same from [2]. Just compile with ./configure && make, and
>>> 'make pdf' if you want the PDF manual, then sud only on the install: 'sudo
>>> make install' and 'sudo make install-pdf’.
>>
>> Sounds perfect. :)
>
> In fact not so difficult. But it might be good to complement with a package
> manager.

Yes. This is maybe not going to be popular here, but
in the light of the other replies I think the best for me
would be to:

- Develop a 2 to 3 migration guide on an example,
  smaller than the actual parser but staying relevant
  to it; as much simple, or as much featured.
- Stay in Bison 2.3 in early development, for
  straightforward macOS use.
- Move to contemporary Bison, if Bison ever moves
  away from Yacc; for straightforward GNU/Linux use.
  Then in macOS recommend Macports as per your
  advice, although supporting Homebrew too, for users
  convenience, as it is very popular.
- On performance or multithreading problems while in
  Yacc mode:
  1. Proxy all parsing needs in a single thread and
     queue parsing requests.
  2. If that isn't enough throughput, move to
     contemporary Bison finally.