Re: Problem linking the Class++ example with Conan and CMake

From: Wouter Beek
Subject: Re: Problem linking the Class++ example with Conan and CMake
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 09:00:53 +0200

Hi Akim,

> Well, your instruction to clone and compile are obsolete, the project,
> I guess, has changed name.

I'm taking a step back from my original attempt to build Calc++,
trying the Simple C++ example first.  This one works now:
<https://github.com/wouterbeek/conan-cmake-bison-simplepp>.  I have
not found a Wndows machine yet to test this on, but will be on the
lookout for one and communicate the result here.

The next step is to do the Calc++ example:
<https://github.com/wouterbeek/conan-cmake-bison-calcpp>.  But I'm
awaiting feedback from the BinCrafters community before that one is
fully functional:
<https://github.com/bincrafters/community/issues/852>.

> > -- Conan: Automatic detection of conan settings from cmake
> > In file included from <stdin>:1:
> > In file included from
> > /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string:500:
> > In file included from
> > /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string_view:176:
> > In file included from
> > /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/__string:56:
> > In file included from
> > /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/algorithm:642:
> > In file included from
> > /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/cstring:61:
> > /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string.h:61:15:
> >  fatal error: 'string.h' file not found
> > #include_next <string.h>
> >               ^~~~~~~~~~
> > 1 error generated.
> > -- Conan: Settings=
> > -s;build_type=Debug;-s;compiler=apple-clang;-s;compiler.version=10.0;-s;compiler.libcxx=libc++
> > -- Conan executing: conan install /tmp/conan-cmake-bison-flex/conanfile.txt
> > -s build_type=Debug -s compiler=apple-clang -s compiler.version=10.0 -s
> > compiler.libcxx=libc++ -g=cmake --build=missing
> > CMake Error at Debug/conan.cmake:399 (message):
> >   Conan install failed='No such file or directory'
> > Call Stack (most recent call first):
> >   Debug/conan.cmake:485 (conan_cmake_install)
> >   CMakeLists.txt:9 (conan_cmake_run)
> >

> > -- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
> > See also "/tmp/conan-cmake-bison-flex/Debug/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

^ This looks like an error in cmake-conan.  Could you try commenting
out the following lines in `CMakeLists.txt` and run `conan install ..
--build missing` from the command line prior to running `cmake ..
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug`:

```
if(NOT EXISTS "${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/conan.cmake")
  file(DOWNLOAD
    "https://github.com/conan-io/cmake-conan/raw/v0.14/conan.cmake";
    "${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/conan.cmake")
endif()
include(${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/conan.cmake)
conan_cmake_run(CONANFILE conanfile.py
                BASIC_SETUP CMAKE_TARGETS
                BUILD missing)
```

If that fixes your error this may be interesting for the cmake-conan
project to know about: https://github.com/conan-io/cmake-conan

Good that you're on macOS BTW, that allows us to properly test the
Conan/CMake cross-platform claim :-)

> > PS: The Calc++ example seems to be partially missing from Git master.
> > Is this intentional?
>
> Yes, it is extracted from the documentation.  You should start from a
> tarball to get the full example.

Thanks, I've downloaded the latest tarball and extracted the exact
example source files.

---
Best,
Wouter.