Re: Bison 3.5 released [stable]

From: Christian Schoenebeck
Subject: Re: Bison 3.5 released [stable]
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 19:26:59 +0100

On Freitag, 13. Dezember 2019 18:15:55 CET Akim Demaille wrote:
> The purpose of string literals has been clarified.  Indeed, they are used
> for two different purposes: freeing from having to implement the keyword
> matching in the scanner, and improving error messages.  Most of the time
> both can be achieved at the same time, but on occasions, it does not work so
> well.  We promote their use for error messages.  We still support the
> former case (at least for historical skeletons), but it is _not_ a
> recommended practice.  The documentation now warns against this use.  A new
> warning, -Wdangling-alias, should help users who want to enforce the use of
> aliases only for error messages.

That's limited to string literals (e.g. "foo"), it does not apply to character
literals (e.g. 'f''o''o') as well, does it? Because character literal
sequences are indeed commonly used to handle scanner tasks on parser side and
I haven't seen issues with the latter in years.

Best regards,
Christian Schoenebeck