Re: Radmind vs CFengine

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: Radmind vs CFengine
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:11:19 -0600

That's a concern.  Allow me to voice my crackpot theory on this:

Cfengine, unlike perl or python or other "real" scripting languages, does not
lend itself well to writing code that is "far above the metal".  When I look
at my cfengine scripts, I see things that simply cannot be easily made to run
in another environment.

As an example:  If I was writing a perl utility to edit a config file, I would
expend a lot of work seperating my data from the machinery.  In cfengine, the
cfagent *is* the machinery, and in a very real sense the cfagent.conf *is*
the data.  So you end up with actual lines and words mixed in with your
procedure, so that your script becomes very localized.

Situations where this is not the case (e.g. adding a line to /etc/services)
tend to be so easy in cfengine that nobody needs to download third-party code
to accomplish it

The result of all this would be that everybody has lots of cfengine code, but
little of it is of the sort you would want to share-- both generalized *and*
interesting.

I think one approach to this problem would be to arrange the archive in a
"come as you are" contribbish fashion; have some directories that correspond
to hard class names, and let people just contribute code to those situations
where they know it will work.  That might encourage people to submit what
they have, even if it has only been tested on a few systems.  It also implies
that we would have more of an 'example gallery' than an archive of certified
runnable modules.

We should also try to have more formal modules that are written to a certain
spec (mainly, creative use of classes to ensure it only runs where it really
ought to run), but I am not optimistic that would get a lot of contributions.
Still be worth doing, though.