Re: Other possible cfengine weak areas?

From: Jamie Wilkinson
Subject: Re: Other possible cfengine weak areas?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:02:24 +1100

This one time, at band camp, Systems Administrator wrote:
>-      Network interface setup.  I wanted to be able to set up multiple
>       virtual network interfaces with different IPs, based on the
>       primary IP.  I integrated this into the Package Management
>       software above, since it already had a hosts table, and just
>       needed an Interfaces table

I did this with a hideous amount of editfiles which I should probably
script; it's very prone to errors and generates a lot of stress when
people edit.

>-      Service Management.  I wanted something that would do the
>       following pseudocode:
>       if(! service started) { start service }

I use a combination of processes: and shellcommands to check if the
daemon is running, and if not define a class to restart it and do a
chkconfig on.

--
jaq@spacepants.org                           http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg