sysadm/cfexecd (was Cfengine on SMP machines)

From: Hal Snyder
Subject: sysadm/cfexecd (was Cfengine on SMP machines)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:01:44 -0500

skaar <skaar@aol.net> writes:

> * Mitch Collinsworth (mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu) [040414 17:44]:
>>
>> A 2nd hand report: Someone else here is running 2.1.4 on a
>> 4-processor AMD opteron. When I read him this question he said: "Oh
>> yeah. That happened to us, too. It turned out to be not handling an
>> error condition properly. It was complaining about some config file
>> not being found and then segfaulting. When we created that file, it
>> ran ok and stopped segfaulting."
>
> It is a genuine bug in cfengine 2.1.4, a double free, with
> DeleteParser() triggered only if WORKDIR/inputs/update.conf is
> missing, which is probably why we didn't see that many reports about
> it, since the most of us have a update.conf.

This reminds me of a problem we ran into lately; cfexecd complaining

> cfexecd: cfengine defines no system administrator address
> cfexecd: Need: sysadm = ( ??@?? ) in control

with a sysadm definition sitting right there in cfagent.conf.

The problem was a missing /var/cfengine/bin/cfagent. After copying
cfagent there, cfexecd worked as well as cfagent. This is with
cfengine 2.0.8p1 and 2.1.5, on i386 Solaris 9.