Re: "tidy" not deleting files from the future

From: Paul Krizak
Subject: Re: "tidy" not deleting files from the future
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:35:27 -0600

Unfortunately, it's the time syncronization that's causing the problem. When the clock gets synced immediately after the system is installed (anaconda/kickstart doesn't support setting time via ntp before installing packages), then the atime/mtime/ctime of all the files on the hard disk are then out of sync with the "real" time.

If we didn't do an ntpdate at all, then the tidy would work fine, since the hardware clock and the date of the files on the disk would match up.

This issue causes us many headaches (not just in cfengine) and we wish there was some better way.

Also, I'd prefer to avoid special-casing "one-time-only" changes to a system. What if somehow that file re-appears, say due to an RPM getting installed? Then cfengine would be powerless to delete it, since the system is not being "freshly" installed.

The real thrust of what I'm trying to accomplish with this e-mail thread is:

1.) does "tidy" have a "force" mode (or equivalent) that ignores the date on the file?

2.) if not, could this be added into a future version of cfengine?

Paul Krizak                         5900 E. Ben White Blvd. MS 625
Advanced Micro Devices              Austin, TX  78741
Linux/Unix Systems Engineering      Phone: (512) 602-8775
Microprocessor Solutions Sector

Ed Brown wrote:
With 'scaling' being your number one issue (Mr. 10,000-clients), it's
hard to know how any solution will fit, but here's one more suggestion
for what it's worth.  If you use something like a 'NewBuild' or
'InitialRun' or some such class to distinguish the first time cfengine
runs, you could just run that shellcommand once.  Or you could force
your time into synchronization before any other action, and just leave
your tidy as-is.

-Ed