Re: cfengine cronjob on pool of servers

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: Re: cfengine cronjob on pool of servers
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:53:07 -0600

David Masterson wrote:

> Simplisticly, that could probably be done by creating (lock) files.
> The cfengine host that creates the file first wins. Of course, this
> assumes an NFS setup

You could also use a database or a CGI application. There is no reason
to depend on NFS to keep state. This is not an easy problem though. For
example, what if the host providing the locking mechanism (NFS server,
database server, whatever) is down? The more important the service, the
more redundancy you need, and that costs, particularly when you are
talking about read-write data (such as locking).

Best,
Brendan

--
Senior System Administrator