help-debbugs

Re: Bug: debbugs-gnu assumes bugs are associated with GNU Emacs project

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Bug: debbugs-gnu assumes bugs are associated with GNU Emacs project
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2016 16:49:10 +0200

Robert Weiner <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Bob,

> 1. Default option of control messages sent via HTTP rather than SMTP
> as a lot of client machines today do not have static IP addresses nor
> SMTP configured.  Via a flag, this could be set to SMTP (or vice versa
> if necessary to keep SMTP the default).

The debbugs server does not offer such an interface. Changes in bugs are
triggered only by email. I fear we cannot do something like proposed.

> 2. Per project browsing interfaces with an easy to generate view of
> open bugs in each.  Then one could jump from *Emacs Debbugs* to
> *Hyperbole Debbugs* easily or use both at the same time.

Noted.

> 3. Unification of query keywords between debbugs.el and the debbugs
> database, so if one uses another UI, everything is consistent.  Maybe
> this requires the database accepting multiple keywords per operation
> in order to maintain backwards compatibility.

We use everything as designed by Debian's debbugs interface. Note, that
debbugs.el is capable to connect also to other debbugs servers. If you
for example, call

(let ((debbugs-port "debian.org"))
  (debbugs-get-bugs :package "emacs"))

you'll get all open bug report numbers of package "emacs" in the Debian
project. Note, that Emacs is handled in several package names there,
like "emacs24", "emacs-nox" etc. Every Debian package name could be used.

Therefore, we shouldn't change this interface on our own.

debbugs-gnu.el is a layer on top of debbugs.el, which communicates to
the GNU debbugs server, using "gnu.org" in debbugs-port.

> 4. Add a link to the Debbugs Info Manual on the popup and menubar menus.

Noted.

> Cheers,
>
> Bob

Best regards, Michael.