help-debbugs

Re: Mail processing problem on debbugs?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Mail processing problem on debbugs?
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 12:42:54 -0600

> I hope this doesn't happen with ###-anything. :(

How are those ###-* messages being routed?  I am starting from no
information so it seems to me like they would be bounced as a
non-existent address.  Where is that configured?

> >> I see mailman-owner is aliased to me and listhelper.
> >
> > listhelper is the anti-spam robot so no human reads that mail and
> > sends cancels to Mailman.
>
> Maybe you could review listhelper usage in /etc/aliases ?

The debbugs mailman-owner address goes to us and also to the
listhelper-moderate address.  (Which I think is confusingly named.)
That's the discussion list for listhelper and there are several of us
on it.  So that seems okay to me.

The simple "listhelper" address is the moderator cancel-bot robot.
That's the automated side of things.

> Perhaps also you could advise what to do about
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/debbugs-submit/bounce
>
> Should it just be disabled?

I think it should be disabled.  However the documentation says that
bounces are then simply discarded.  Which isn't what we want either.

Therefore I don't know the best thing to do here.  But I will do what
I usually do at this point which is to ask for help. :-)

There should be some way to have Mailman's debbugs-submit mailing list
forward mail to the real address but have any mail problems such as
bounces to be forwarded to an admin address.

Bob