help-debbugs

Re: Status of this email message?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Status of this email message?
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 14:38:25 -0600

Glenn Morris wrote:
> I don't know why that method wouldn't work, but I don't think I have
> ever tried to do it that way.

I am suspicious that there is something that might discard messages
with the same Message-Id as has previously been seen.  (shrug)  Do not
know though but that would explain why the repeat message disappeared.

> To restore a discarded message, my
> procedure was to pipe it to /usr/lib/debbugs/receive as described in
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/admin/notes/bugtracker#n591
>
> (This information should really be somewhere on debbugs.gnu.org, perhaps
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/Moderating.html )

Thank you for the information!  And now that you mention this I do now
recall having discussed some of this before when we were repairing and
recovery from a previous problem.  That was a little different then
though.  But I just couldn't remember the details.  I'll try to note
them down to remember them for next time.

In the intervening time the poster submitted the bug again and of
course everything went through with the updated training in place.  I
have been discussing the issue offline with them.  So now I don't
really want to vivify the original message, which would now be a
duplicate.

But I am sure there will be another message that is discarded as a
false positive at some point and then I will need this procedure
again.  Anti-spam can be good but it has never been perfect and there
are false positives at times.  Even humans have a non-zero error rate.

Thanks!
Bob