Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv and customize-browse

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv and customize-browse
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:39:21 +1200

>"Albert, Jürgen" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> gnuserv seems to disturb the functionality of customize-browse in my
>> NTEmacs
>
>Aha, that was what it was, I've just resigned to not ever use
>customize-browse in the belief that it was buggy. But I am totally
>dependent on gnuserv so it doesn't help too much. :-)
>
>I wonder what it is that causes gnuserv to ruin maybe the customize
>code in gnuserv.el is bad in some way that causes emacs to crash?

gnuserv.el was originally written as a cut and paste job from server.el.
So they both define incompatible functions of the same name. This is
a major problem, because gnuserv.el uses those functions to
override basic Emacs functions like kill-buffer. server.el uses
the more friendly method of adding a kill-buffer-hook.

If someone would like to modify gnuserv.el to fix this problem,
your efforts would be most welcome. Especially since there is
currently a proposal to replace emacsserver with gnuserv in
the default distribution.