[h-e-w] Re: info path - I can add to it, but not use it

From: Michael R. Wolf
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: info path - I can add to it, but not use it
Date: 08 Dec 2001 17:16:56 -0500

Henrik Enberg <address@hidden> writes:

> You will also need a entry in the dir file if you want to see when you
> do C-h i.  Try something like this.
>
> * BBDB: (bbdb).             The Insidious Big Brother Database.

Thanks to Henrik and Galen.

Magic.  It worked!!  Is there a preference for "(bbdb)" or
"(bbdb.info)"?  I used the later.

How could I have figured that out myself?  I'd scoured the info node
for Info a whole bunch.

Can someone fold the "update the info/dir" directions into the INSTALL
file for BBDB?

Why does the process file manipulation?  It seems to me that I have to
remember to remember my updates to the emacs-21.1/info/dir file when I
get a new version of emacs.  That doesn't seem like a reasonable
maintenance procedure.  Is there a way to do it all in ~/.emacs, or at
least without modifying the distribution files?

> You might not have the info files created though.  Info reads
> info files, not texinfo files.
[snip]
> Try running make in this directory.

Fortunately for me, they were already there because I don't have a
texi2dvi.exe on this WinDOS machine.  Depencencies, dependencies...

Thanks again.....

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!