Re: [h-e-w] 21.1 memory limits (VM)

From: Andrew Innes
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] 21.1 memory limits (VM)
Date: 19 Dec 2001 14:19:36 +0000

On Sat, 1 Dec 2001 22:00:40 +0000, "John Kozak" <address@hidden> said:

> I get "memory exhausteds" (particularly using VM) under 21.1 but not
> 20.7. Is the memory limit a tweakable thing (can't see anything in the
> manual about it)?
>
> John

No, there is nothing to tweak.  On startup, Emacs reserves the maximum
amount of address space it is capable of using (in its present form),
which is a bit less than 256MB.

It is possible that something (eg. a DLL) is "in the way", and Emacs
cannot in fact reserve that full amount, but otherwise "memory
exhausted" should really mean what it says.  Either Emacs has used
nearly the full 256MB, or between all the programs currently running,
the system doesn't have enough memory + swap space left to do more.

AndrewI