[h-e-w] Ange-ftp, Win2000

From: Milliken, Peter
Subject: [h-e-w] Ange-ftp, Win2000
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 18:36:16 -0500

Hi,

As you periodically have to do, I just had to re-image my Win2000 disk. In
the process of reloading everything I have discovered the ange-ftp nolonger
works. I use cygwin and bash. I made the mistake of blowing away my snapshot
Cygwin directory so I decided to download the latest. The ftp program
supplied with inetutils uses the MDTM command (sets the date and time stamp)
- according to an email I found using Google, "most implementations of FTP
don't implement mdtm". I have posted a bug report to Cygwin on it.

If I follow the FAQ, it provides an ftp.exe - the error I get using this is:

byte-code: Removing old name: permission denied, c:/tmp/ange-ftp1748ecY

I have my ange-ftp-tmp-name-template set to "c:/tmp/ange-ftp".

This has all worked before (well, not with the ftp from the FAQ :-)), so I
am confused as to the permission denied message.

Anyone got any clues that might help me out? :-) In the meantime, I hope I
have a backup snapshot of the previous Cygwin I used at home, but it'll have
to wait until then, meantime I'll have to edit my files without using Emacs
:-(

Thanks
Peter