Re: [h-e-w] inferior shell: Out of environment space (Windows98)

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] inferior shell: Out of environment space (Windows98)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:06:53 +0000

"Adam P." wrote:

> When running some commands (e.g., ps2pdf) in inferior shell (M-x
> shell), I get the "Out of environment space" error message.  I
> expected something like to this to solve my problem, but it doesn't:
>
> (setq explicit-cmdproxy.exe-args '("-i" "/E:8192"))
>
> What finally worked for me was...
>
> (setq explicit-cmdproxy.exe-args '("-i" "/C COMMAND.COM /E:8192"))
>
> ...but this amounts to firing off COMMAND.COM from within the inferior
> shell.
>
> Is there a direct way of starting cmdproxy.exe with more environment
> space?

I solved this problem by forcing all invocations of command.com to use
more environment space, which seems to work well.  I think the trick was
to put something like

set SHELL=COMMAND.COM /P /E:2048

in C:\config.sys.  I did this a long time ago on a different machine
that I don't have access to at present, so I may have mis-remembered
some details.  But you should be able to look it up in any decent
reference book on MS-DOS.

Francis