Re: Suggest --chdir be mentioned in Windows FAQ

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suggest --chdir be mentioned in Windows FAQ
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:23:37 +0300

> From: Joel Reicher <joel.reicher@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:33:31 +1000
> Cc: help-emacs-windows@gnu.org
>
> When Emacs is started from a shortcut that uses runemacs.exe there is
> the opportunity to set the working directory using "start in". But if
> it's started by the client falling back to ALTERNATE_EDITOR this can't
> be used.
> My understanding is that occasionally the working directory is exposed
> in emacs, such as when starting an eshell.

OK, but then what is the problem here?  The --chdir option is clearly
documented in the Emacs manual, so if you need to use it in
ALTERNATE_EDITOR (which I guess is something specific to your use
patterns, because in general Emacs doesn't really care in what
directory it is started), you are free to use it.  You started by
asking to add this to the FAQ, but how will that make the option more
discoverable than it is now?  The manual doesn't say the option is for
X, it just gives one example where this is used.