help-gawk

Re: How to make "division by zero attempted" error message more informat

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: How to make "division by zero attempted" error message more informative?
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 12:09:13 -0600

Sorry. I accidentally sent the email to the bug mailing list. It
should be sent to the help mailing list.

On 3/3/22, Ed Morton <mortoneccc@comcast.net> wrote:
> That error message tells you the line number in the script (`line:1`),
> the input file name (`FILENAME=-`), and the line number in the input
> file where the error occurred (`FNR=1`) as well as telling you it's a
> divide by zero and you can clearly see in your code where you're
> dividing so I'm not sure what more information could be needed/provided.

The problem is that if this piece code is embedded inline in many bash
scripts, it will be very hard to find where the error is from.

> Out of curiosity though - what would you like the error message to say?

Maybe there can be a prefix to the error message that the users can control?

--
Regards,
Peng