help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt]xml?

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt]xml?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:18:40 +0100

Scott Haug wrote:

> libxml is likely the way to go.
>
> http://xmlsoft.org
>
> libxml is the official XML C library for GNOME.  As far as I can tell, it's
> not
> GNOME-specific, though.  It's licensed under the LGPL.  It provides both a SAX
> and DOM interface.
>
> Since it's the official xml library for GNOME, folks with GNOME likely already
> have it installed.  The xmlsoft website has plenty of links to source tarballs
> and RPM packages for those that don't.

Sounds great! :-)

> The current version looks like it's >
> 1000kb in source code, so you probably don't want to ship it with gengetopt.
> link to the page is probably enough.

Maybe we could do like this: the old syntax stays on, and we could
provide an option at configuration time that uses also XML for
specifying gengetopt options, what do you think?

I'm tempted to provide also the old syntax for those that are not
interested in the power of XML or they don't feel like using it.

Obviously the configuration file should provide something to decide
whether it uses XML or not, but that should not be a problem as the xml
parser will check it anyway.

> Since this looks like something that you're interested in, Lorenzo, I'll try
> draw up a proposal DTD in the couple of days.

if you have time, please do :-)

thanks again

see you soon
        Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD student in Computer Science                    |
|  Florence - Italy         (Linux User # 158233)     |
|  Home Page        : http://w3.newnet.it/bettini     |
|           http://infostud.dsi.unifi.it/~bettini     |
|  Mail Home        : address@hidden     |
|  Mail University  : address@hidden            |